I want to introduce you to a newer North County business, Riddle Routes. Started in Bend, Oregon, with three routes, you can now find them in California with routes in Carlsbad, Big Bear and Palm Springs.
I took the Riddle Route challenge starting my quest in Carlsbad, totally unsure what the experience would be like. Suggested teams are 2-4 people, so we double-dated and made it a team of 4. The routes are designed to be about 2 miles of walking, 2 hours of time with 22 stops. You purchase the package online for $38 (this fee covers the whole team), which I feel is very reasonable and certainly less expensive than going to a movie. Once you pay you are given a link to access your route, using your smartphone to get your clues.
The whole thing was put together very cleverly, and you can tell the designers of Riddle Routes are teachers. Let’s just say I was thankful for the help of my teammates when the riddle involved math! As you go from point to point you are looking for specific things, solving riddles and problems and doing a lot of teamwork. We saw some points of interest that we knew about and others that we were learning about for the first time. After you get to each destination and solve your riddle, you’ll learn some fun facts about that specific location or business. So, with Riddle Routes you are having fun, exercising and getting fresh air, working with others, using your brains and learning new things about the area you are in.
We all agreed that it was a lot of fun and interesting as well. I would wholeheartedly recommend that everyone do this with their family or friends. It was a great day followed by a nice dinner in The Village. I did not take pictures (whaaat?) as I don’t want to give away the route. I want it all to be new and fresh when you give it a try.
Does this sound like something you would want to do? For more information and to purchase your Riddle Route go to: http://riddleroutes.com/product/carlsbad-route/. Be sure to use code: BARB$10 to save $10!
Mother's Day is right around the corner and I have a list of gift ideas for you that also support local businesses, makers and venues.
1. You can NEVER go wrong with a candle. My locally-made favorites are Aura Candles and Oceanside Candle Company (available all over town including Metaphor Boutique in Vista, Eclectic Vintage Design and Sea Hive both in Oceanside. They both make beautifully scented soy candles with the very best ingredients.
2. Take Mom on a picnic at the beautiful Alta Vista Gardens in Vista. It's so serene and they have tables available for you to use.
3. Sign yourselves up for a makers class at Eclectic Vintage Design in Oceanside. They offer all kinds of crafting opportunities in a group setting. See website for schedules.
4. Grab a gift certificate from one of the many local shops that support local vendors and artisans. Some of my favorites are: Metaphor Boutique, Lotus Moon Market, Sea Hive, Eclectic Vintage Design, Lotus (formerly Leaping Lotus), The Artist Collective at The Succulent Cafe.
5. Take Mom to a show! Moonlight Amphitheatre and Moonlight Stage Productions have music and theatre options year-round and the setting is phenomenal!
6. Take Mom out to High Tea at my favorite tea spot, The Grand Tea Room in Escondido! It's fun to get a little dressed up (if you want), throw on a hat (if you want) and enjoy some of the yummiest and most extraordinary teas around! Louisa will take good care of you!
7. Take Mom out for a meal somewhere that is very quaint- my best suggestions are: Shorehouse Kitchen (Carlsbad),Claire's on Cedros in Solana Beach, The Veranda at Grand Traditions in Fallbrook, Myrtle Creek Botanical Gardens in Fallbrook, and Stratford Court and Flower Child (sit on the patio) in Del Mar and Decoy on beautiful Lake San Marcos.
8. Grab Mom a pampering gift certificate at Active Mobility Chiropractic Rehabilitation Group. Right now they have a gift card special that runs through May 11th, with special pricing just for moms. Choose from either a 50 minute massage for $49.50 (reg. $78) or a 50 minute massage, 30 minute stretch therapy and Chiropractic exam/treatment package all for $69.50 (reg. $230).
9. Take Mom on a Walking Food Tour with Carla and Linda's Walking Food Tours. These are so fun and you get to try food and drink from 4 local establishments. 4 routes to choose from- 3 in Oceanside and 1 in Vista. *Use code: barb at checkout to save $10 on each ticket!
10. This Mother’s Day weekend, experience the sweeter side of Oceanside. On Saturday, May 11, from 2-5 p.m. treat Mom to dessert and beverage pairings at Sweet Stops throughout Downtown Oceanside while you shop for her and make her day. Bring the whole family to this new Eat & Shop Local Oceanside Program tasting and shopping event with a discounted family ticket and enjoy sidewalk chalk fun for the kiddos and sweets while you walk. Tickets, at $20 per adult, $10 per child or $45 for a family pack (for two adults and two kids), are available now at mainstreetoceanside.co
11. Say I love you with a sign from North County Yard Greetings. Lindy will help you find the perfect words to convey how you feel. So fun and different.
12. Do some shopping with local artisans this weekend at Artifact Vista! It's a vintage fair in downtown, historic Vista and showcases many talented vendors. Shop 10-4 on Sunday the 28th.
13. Take a mother/daughter yoga class at the fabulous Sugar Sweet Farm. Nothing brings you together more than sharing a laugh together. Such a fun, joyful class in a beautiful setting! *Use code: BARB20 at checkout and save 20% on your registration!
14. Take a cooking class together at Treehouse Kitchen. They have an eclectic variety of class offerings in an intimate atmosphere. Your hosts, Stan and Mary, are the GREATEST!
15. There is always an Spring Arts and Crafts Fair at Bernardo Winery Mother's Day weekend and it's the best. Love the winery and the entire setting.